The most popular way to get Scala is either using Scala through sbt, the Scala build tool, or to use Scala through an IDE.
First, make sure you have the Java 8 JDK (or Java 11 JDK) installed.
To check, open the terminal and type:
java -version(Make sure you have version 1.8 or 11.)
Then, install Scala:
...either by installing an IDE such as IntelliJ, or sbt, Scala's build tool.
Other ways to install Scala
Download the Scala binaries for
Need help running the binaries?
- Using SDKMAN!, you can easily install specific versions of Scala on any platform with
sdk install scala 2.13.8
- On macOS you can also use Homebrew and existing Scala Formulae
brew install scala
- With MacPorts, you can get Scala using
sudo port install scala2.xcommand.
For example to install Scala 2.12 simply use
sudo port install scala2.12
- Use Scastie to run single-file Scala programs in your browser using multiple Scala compilers; the production Scala 2.x compilers, Scala.js, Dotty, and Typelevel Scala. Save and share executable Scala code snippets.
- Try Scala in the browser via ScalaFiddle. This lets you run single-file Scala programs in your browser using Scala.js, including graphical/interactive examples such as Oscilloscope or Ray Tracer
- Get Ammonite, a popular Scala REPL
Or are you looking for previous releases of Scala?
Release NotesFor a summary of important changes, see the GitHub release notes.
(Or consult our archive of older release notes.)
You can find the links to prior versions or the latest development version below. To see a detailed list of changes for each version of Scala please refer to the changelog.
Note that different major releases of Scala (e.g. Scala 2.11.x and Scala 2.12.x) are not binary compatible with each other.
You can find the installer download links for other operating systems, as well as documentation and source code archives for Scala 2.13.0-RC2 below.
|scala-2.13.0-RC2.tgz||Mac OS X, Unix, Cygwin||18.51M|
|scala-2.13.0-RC2.msi||Windows (msi installer)||114.72M|
The Scala distribution is released under the Apache License, Version 2.0.