- About Scala
- In the Enterprise
- Scala Community
- Language Research
- In the Press
- The Scala Team
- Scala's Prehistory
- Contact Us
- Learning Scala
- Tour of Scala
- Scala API
- Setup & Getting Started
- Programming Guides
- Other Guides
- Code Examples
- Scala Developers
Eclipse IDE for Scala RC1 for Scala 2.9 and 2.8 is out
Created by admin on 2011-11-15. Updated: 2011-11-15, 15:08
The Scala IDE developers write: "It's been a long journey! The Scala IDE for Eclipse has reached the first release candidate for version 2.0, and if no critical bugs are reported, this will be the 2.0 release! Thanks everyone for the patience and the tremendous work that got us here!
After the 2.0.0 release we will continue to support 2.0 with maintenance releases including important bug fixes. However, the focus will shift to the 2.1 development, and concentrate on the upcoming features. Also, 2.0.0 is the last version that supports the 2.8 compiler. This decision was not taken lightly, but the effort to support 2.8 is way too high and slows down development too much. We believe that the 2.0.0 release will be a good IDE for the few people that cannot upgrade to 2.9.1 in the short term (about 2% of our downloads).
Hence, we are happy to announce that the first Release Candidate (RC1) of the Eclipse IDE for Scala is ready for download! This release comes in two flavors: the 2.9.1 version, and the 2.8.3-SNAPSHOT version.
The 2.8 compiler shipped with this version of the plugin is based on the development branch of 2.8.3, and is fully binary compatible with both 2.8.2 and 2.8.1. It contains the same improvements to the presentation compiler as the 2.9 version, and a number of bug fixes related to Java signatures. Also note that the 2.9.1 compiler shipped with this version of the plugin is fully binary compatile with both 2.9.0-1 and 2.9.0.
- Updated the Classpath Validator to play nice with Maven project. [#1000631,#1000728]
- TODO comments are now correctly displayed in the Eclipse Task section. [#1000634]
- Fixed an important source of instability affecting Windows Eclipse users (causing the following exception to be reported: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Path for project must have only one segment.). [#1000715,#1000660]
- Improved the Run Selection Interpreter (a project picker is now displayed when no project is selected). [#1000480]
- The JDK selected in the project's classpath is now honored. [#1000406]
- Resource files are copied to the output directory. [#1000636]
- Braces and parenthesis are now automatically matched in the editor. [#1000688]
- Better support for dependent projects in the presentation compiler, leading to less spurious errors. [#1000699, #1000645]
- Completion support for inherited trait members in Java sources. [#1000412]
A list of fixed tickets for this release is available here:
You can install the new release by pointing Eclipse to the following update site:
for the 2.9.1 version: http://download.scala-ide.org/releases-29/stable/site
for the 2.8.3-SNAPSHOT version: http://download.scala-ide.org/releases-28/stable/site
Other releases can be found at:
Both plugins are ensured to work with Eclipse 3.6 (Helios), which is currently the officially supported Eclipse platform for the Scala IDE. Support for Eclipse 3.7 (Indigo) is experimental.
Happy Scala coding!
— The Eclipse Scala IDE Team