This page is no longer maintained — Please continue to the home page at www.scala-lang.org

Separating embedded compiler from Eclipse IDE

5 replies
Michael Weir
Joined: 2011-03-22,
User offline. Last seen 42 years 45 weeks ago.
The company I work for is strict about licensing, so I am required to use a version of the Scala compiler that has been vetted by their lawyers, etc.  Is there any way to remove the compiler plugins from the IDE distribution?  Is there a way of downloading and installing the IDE such that the compiler is not installed?

Thanks for any help.
MW
Pedro Furlanetto
Joined: 2009-08-19,
User offline. Last seen 2 years 34 weeks ago.
Re: Separating embedded compiler from Eclipse IDE

Would you mind sharing the lawyers' arguments? You got me curious on this.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Michael Weir
wrote:
> The company I work for is strict about licensing, so I am required to use a
> version of the Scala compiler that has been vetted by their lawyers, etc.
> Is there any way to remove the compiler plugins from the IDE distribution?
> Is there a way of downloading and installing the IDE such that the compiler
> is not installed?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> MW
>

david.bernard
Joined: 2009-01-08,
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago.
Re: Separating embedded compiler from Eclipse IDE
ScalaIDE (eclipse plugin) is under the same license as Scala itself.So if you can't use ScalaIDE, then you can't Scala (library and compiler) (except if you can use ScalaIDE because you can't use Eclipse)
/davidB

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 16:26, Pedro Furlanetto <pedrofurla [at] gmail [dot] com> wrote:
Would you mind sharing the lawyers' arguments? You got me curious on this.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Michael Weir
<michael.weir.edu@gmail.com> wrote:
> The company I work for is strict about licensing, so I am required to use a
> version of the Scala compiler that has been vetted by their lawyers, etc.
> Is there any way to remove the compiler plugins from the IDE distribution?
> Is there a way of downloading and installing the IDE such that the compiler
> is not installed?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> MW
>

Michael Weir
Joined: 2011-03-22,
User offline. Last seen 42 years 45 weeks ago.
Re: Separating embedded compiler from Eclipse IDE
The lawyers don't share their thinking with me (ha, ha), but I believe that they don't want to conduct multiple reviews of the same item, and they probably want to split the reviews for the IDE and for the compiler, since each license is free to change independently. ...something like that, anyway.
If there's no straightforward way of getting the IDE to use an external compiler, I'll try to get them to review the IDE/compiler bundle.
Does anyone know whether the IDE and compiler can be separate?  If not, I'll experiment myself, and respond to this email.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM, David Bernard <david [dot] bernard [dot] 31 [at] gmail [dot] com> wrote:
ScalaIDE (eclipse plugin) is under the same license as Scala itself.So if you can't use ScalaIDE, then you can't Scala (library and compiler) (except if you can use ScalaIDE because you can't use Eclipse)
/davidB

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 16:26, Pedro Furlanetto <pedrofurla [at] gmail [dot] com> wrote:
Would you mind sharing the lawyers' arguments? You got me curious on this.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Michael Weir
<michael.weir.edu@gmail.com> wrote:
> The company I work for is strict about licensing, so I am required to use a
> version of the Scala compiler that has been vetted by their lawyers, etc.
> Is there any way to remove the compiler plugins from the IDE distribution?
> Is there a way of downloading and installing the IDE such that the compiler
> is not installed?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> MW
>


iulian dragos 3
Joined: 2011-02-21,
User offline. Last seen 42 years 45 weeks ago.
Re: Separating embedded compiler from Eclipse IDE

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Michael Weir
wrote:
> The lawyers don't share their thinking with me (ha, ha), but I believe that
> they don't want to conduct multiple reviews of the same item, and they
> probably want to split the reviews for the IDE and for the compiler, since
> each license is free to change independently. ...something like that,
> anyway.
> If there's no straightforward way of getting the IDE to use an external
> compiler, I'll try to get them to review the IDE/compiler bundle.
> Does anyone know whether the IDE and compiler can be separate?  If not, I'll
> experiment myself, and respond to this email.

There are different degrees of separateness. The compiler/library that
comes with the IDE are packaged in their own plugins.

You cannot use the IDE without any compiler, because all semantic
actions (hyperlinking, completion, report errors as you type, etc.)
are handled by the compiler. Also, you cannot just point the IDE to
another compiler version, since there may be (and there are) large
changes in the compiler API for IDEs between different versions.

As David has mentioned, the IDE uses the same license as Scala, so
maybe that can help.

iulian

>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM, David Bernard
> wrote:
>>
>> ScalaIDE (eclipse plugin) is under the same license as Scala itself.
>> So if you can't use ScalaIDE, then you can't Scala (library and compiler)
>> (except if you can use ScalaIDE because you can't use Eclipse)
>> /davidB
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 16:26, Pedro Furlanetto
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would you mind sharing the lawyers' arguments? You got me curious on
>>> this.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Michael Weir
>>> wrote:
>>> > The company I work for is strict about licensing, so I am required to
>>> > use a
>>> > version of the Scala compiler that has been vetted by their lawyers,
>>> > etc.
>>> > Is there any way to remove the compiler plugins from the IDE
>>> > distribution?
>>> > Is there a way of downloading and installing the IDE such that the
>>> > compiler
>>> > is not installed?
>>> >
>>> > Thanks for any help.
>>> > MW
>>> >
>>
>
>

david.bernard
Joined: 2009-01-08,
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago.
Re: Separating embedded compiler from Eclipse IDE


On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 16:53, iulian dragos <iulian [dot] dragos [at] scalasolutions [dot] com> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Michael Weir
<michael.weir.edu@gmail.com> wrote:
> The lawyers don't share their thinking with me (ha, ha), but I believe that
> they don't want to conduct multiple reviews of the same item, and they
> probably want to split the reviews for the IDE and for the compiler, since
> each license is free to change independently. ...something like that,
> anyway.
> If there's no straightforward way of getting the IDE to use an external
> compiler, I'll try to get them to review the IDE/compiler bundle.
> Does anyone know whether the IDE and compiler can be separate?  If not, I'll
> experiment myself, and respond to this email.

There are different degrees of separateness. The compiler/library that
comes with the IDE are packaged in their own plugins.

You cannot use the IDE without any compiler, because all semantic
actions (hyperlinking, completion, report errors as you type, etc.)
are handled by the compiler. Also, you cannot just point the IDE to
another compiler version, since there may be (and there are) large
changes in the compiler API for IDEs between different versions.

As David has mentioned, the IDE uses the same license as Scala, so
maybe that can help.

FYI* to contribute to the IDE, we sign the same CLA (Contributor Licence Agreement) as for Scala.  I signed the same paper.* the licence of the tools scalac, scalaIDE doesn't impact the edited source or generated bytecode.
Check with your lawyers, but I think you can use any IDE you like to build in dev phase (on your desktop), and build the artifacts (your company use, share, sell) with a command-line tool like make, ant, maven, SBT, home made script (any thing approved by lawyers)
/davidB 

iulian


>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM, David Bernard <david [dot] bernard [dot] 31 [at] gmail [dot] com>
> wrote:
>>
>> ScalaIDE (eclipse plugin) is under the same license as Scala itself.
>> So if you can't use ScalaIDE, then you can't Scala (library and compiler)
>> (except if you can use ScalaIDE because you can't use Eclipse)
>> /davidB
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 16:26, Pedro Furlanetto <pedrofurla [at] gmail [dot] com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would you mind sharing the lawyers' arguments? You got me curious on
>>> this.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Michael Weir
>>> <michael.weir.edu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> > The company I work for is strict about licensing, so I am required to
>>> > use a
>>> > version of the Scala compiler that has been vetted by their lawyers,
>>> > etc.
>>> > Is there any way to remove the compiler plugins from the IDE
>>> > distribution?
>>> > Is there a way of downloading and installing the IDE such that the
>>> > compiler
>>> > is not installed?
>>> >
>>> > Thanks for any help.
>>> > MW
>>> >
>>
>
>

Copyright © 2012 École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland