Erik is known to Scala users as:
- creator of Spire, a leading library for numerics in Scala
- creator of other tools and libraries such as kind-projector (a compiler plugin for type lambdas) and jawn (a very fast JSON parser)
- leader of the Cats project, which provides abstractions for functional programming in Scala (“cats” being short for “category”, as in category theory)
- cofounder of Typelevel, a Scala community organization dedicated to furthering pure, typeful functional programming in Scala
- a friendly and tireless conference-goer and presenter
Erik’s 2015 Scala World presentation, “Principles for approachable, modular, functional libraries” (slides, video) is a classic on the subject of open-source library design, not only from a technical perspective, but with attention to how software communities and ecosystems operate.
The Bagwell Award is named in honor of Phil Bagwell, who passed away in 2012. In a 2012 blog post, Martin Odersky remembers Phil and his special place in the Scala community.
Past winners of the award: